The ad concept you’re looking at has been done before. Everything has. That doesn’t mean it’s ineffective. Consider:
• It could be new to the category.
• It could be new to the target audience.
• If it’s been done in art (book, movie), it doesn’t count. Art and advertising serve two different purposes and are experienced differently by people.
• Last time it was done, it could have been poorly executed.
• Something about this place, this time, this person, could make the idea seem new or more impactful.
The danger about “That’s been done before” is that it leads to complicating the idea, dressing it up to make it somehow different or personalized. Simple, insightful ideas executed well will always have the best chance of breaking through.
True love has been done before. Doesn’t mean squat to the way I feel about my wife.