Called out by Foursquare

10 Jan

Admittedly, I was a little high-strung about my first day at Copeland, which might explain why things went the way they did.

Monday morning came and I got myself out of the house with plenty of time.

As I trotted across the street to get my bus, I wondered why the streets were so quiet, but I got distracted and the thought blew away. With plenty of time to spare I had a pleasant morning walk to get a coffee before work. Save for me and the two baristas, the café was completely deserted. I scooped up my coffee and in a way that I hoped looked casual, walked to Copeland, arriving at 8:30 sharp.

The gates were locked. The lights were out. No one (other than the Johns driving past, looking at me like I was a hooker who had wandered into the broad daylight) was around. There was nobody anywhere.

I waited by the side of the building for 10 minutes before texting a friend. The abridged version went something like “WTF?!?” I lingered outside under the surveillance camera for exactly 15 minutes until the leers and increasingly bad weather became too much.

But I couldn’t just leave. What if someone finally came right after I left and I was that person who didn’t show for their first day of work? There’s no way I’d let that happen. Back to the café to kill time.

Fifteen minutes later I was back at Copeland HQ to find that the gates were still closed. So I did what any girl would do in this situation:

I called my Mummy. Mums know.

Monday January 2nd was a stat holiday! That’s where I went wrong.

In my defense, I have been self-employed for the last 5 years. I don’t take holidays like a normal person. Even after I figured it out I was still anxious about leaving.

Mummy talked me through it, like in Speed where Jeff Daniels talks Keanu though disarming the bomb under the speeding bus.

I did leave eventually and came back on Tuesday prepared to pretend it had never happened.

Wouldn’t you know it. I had checked in on Foursquare the morning before. Not only had I checked in on Foursquare, but I had stolen the mayorship from Asmâa. So it was clear to all that I had been there the day before.

My second-first day went much better, thank you.


2 Responses to “Called out by Foursquare”

  1. Christie August 3, 2014 at 3:02 pm #

    Reblogged this on boy idiot and commented:
    In honor of starting a new job on Tuesday, I would like to share a story about the last time I started a new job on a stat holiday…


  1. Unsolicited advice « PR Hot Air - March 16, 2012

    […] of me originally taken by Michael for a post on Copeland’s blog) Share this:MoreLike this:LikeBe the first to like this […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s